Dunearn Science Ambassador Programme
Objectives of Dunearn SAP
- To increase student’s knowledge and interest in a variety of Science and Mathematics topics
- To enable students to communicate science concept to a range of listeners and share their passion for science
- To provide a platform for high ability Science students to be further engaged in Science through Collaborative Learning
Overview of Dunearn SAP
Anchor Programmes & Highlights
- Organisation of Science Week in Term 2
- STEP Sunburst Programme with Science Centre
- Enrichment Workshops with Science Centre
- Competitions organised by PJC & various polytechnics
- Champion for Shell STEM Young Innovators Challenge 2016 - Two teams of ten students from Dunearn Science Ambassador Programme (SAP) participated in the Shell STEM Young Innovation Challenge at Republic Polytechnic on 21st July 2016. The team comprising Cheah Siew Mun, Ho Jia Hui, Huang Wei Wen, Jolie Er and Stephen Png emerged Champion for the Food Science & Analytics category. The team subsequently went on to present their work during the MOE Excel Fest 2017.
- Graduation from STEP Sunburst Programme - On the 10th of Feb 2018, six Secondary Three SAP students celebrated their successful completion of the STEP Sunburst programme and received their certificates. These students had contributed an average of 100 hours each in the form of science communication workshops, and volunteering their knowledge at the Singapore Science Centre. We congratulate the students on their achievements.
- Champion for Engineering Explorer 2017 – Two teams took part in the PICO Mouse Race on 23 Mar 2017. The team comprising Kirsty Lee, Ho Jia Hui, Joy Goh and Cheah Siew Mun did the school proud by clinching the Champion title for the competition.
Innovative Award for Nanyang Poly Science & Technology Challenge 2017 – 21 SAP students took part in a total of 6
categories. The team comprising Ho Jia Hui, Wen Ming, Asyiqin and Heng Xun
clinched the Most Innovative Award for the category of Projectile Launcher.
- Australian Big Science Competition – 34 Sec 2 to 4 SAP students took part in the Big
Science Competition 2017 and they performed well by attaining 2 High Distinctions,
4 Distinctions and 16 Credits in all.
SAP students emerged Champion for the Shell STEM Youth Innovation Challenge 2016
Team that won the Most Innovative Project Launcher Award in the
Nanyang Poly Science & Technology
Challenge 2017, together with their
Students Reflections on their experiences in SAP
From the STEP Sunburst programme, I had learnt a lot about science and its theories. I am passionate about this programme because it is very interesting and it relates to our everyday life. Through this programme, I learnt that science is a tool I can use to understand the world around me. It provides logic and sense. I also realised that the more we know about science, the more we would be curious and we can start to do research related to science to satisfy our curiosity and improve our knowledge on it. Therefore, I find this programme very helpful and it was filled with new experiences.
- Tan Yi Xi, Kerrie, 3Opal
Teachers-in-charge of Dunearn’s SAP:Mdm Chia Yee Ping
Ms Chua Sock Sian
Ms Sandy Tan
Mr Ang Wee Kiat
Mr Chen Zhiyong